Designing a website can be a daunting task. There are many things to consider – from the layout and colors to the content and navigation. But one of the most important aspects of website design is how to make it visible and search engine friendly. The use of SEO will make a website more visible, which will increase the number of visitors and customers. SEO is a central part when planning and designing a website. Organic traffic is free, so it’s worth considering how to make sure a website converts visitors into customers. Here are a few simple tips on integrating SEO into your website design.
1. Why you should care about SEO
Here are a few reasons:
1. SEO can help you gain new customers.
2. SEO can help you increase brand awareness.
3. SEO can improve traffic to your website.
4. SEO is free and easy to implement, and it will only pay off in the long run.
There are a lot of misconceptions about SEO, and many people believe that it’s too difficult or expensive to implement. But that’s not always the case – there are several simple things you can do to improve your ranking and visibility. If you’re not optimizing your website for search engines, you’re missing out on a lot of potential business.
2. How to plan for good SEO
When planning a website, it is crucial to keep in mind how to make it visible and search engine friendly. There are seven essential website elements that will affect your site’s ranking and a few simple things you can do during the design process to ensure organic traffic.
The elements include:
1. Choosing the Right Keywords
Keyword research is a critical step when planning a website because it helps define not only what content will be included in the site but also how it will be optimized to encourage search engine traffic. When choosing keywords to target, use phrases rather than single words. Phrases have a greater search volume and are more likely to be used in anchor text when linking from other sites, increasing rankings.
2. Optimizing the Title and Meta Tags
Create an optimized title and meta tag that should be included on every page of a website and contain the relevant keywords being targeted. Don’t forget the title is the first thing people will see in the search results, so be descriptive. The title should be unique to that page and contain the primary keyword. Make sure it’s not too long.
Metadata is information about a website’s content that is not visible to users while on the site but is used by search engines to rank websites and is visible on the SERPs. Create a descriptive meta description containing a keyword or two for each page of content. You must write the description in a way that encourages potential site visitors to click on it. It should be brief and enticing because it summarizes the page’s content. It is important to include accurate and relevant metadata, as well as to update it regularly.
3. Using Images and Videos the Right Way
You should also optimize imagery and video. Using a combination of relevant keywords in image filenames, alt text, and file names will help with ranking. Including text in videos can also increase rankings and optimize the video description. Remember, Google can’t see images as we can, so a description is vital.
4. Adding a Blog or RSS Feed
Having a blog to post updates on current events and recent news related to the industry can help drive traffic back to the site. Site visitors may not come back often, but search engines will index updated content regularly. An RSS feed will also drive traffic and rankings to the site. If your website uses a blog, it is essential to include meta data and tags on each post under your WordPress dashboard’s ‘post’ section. These should consist of keywords identifying what topic(s) the post covers and any other relevant information. The post’s author should also be identified and anything mentioned in the by-line.
5. Creating an XML Sitemap
An XML sitemap tells search engines where the pages on a website are located and will cause the site to be crawled more often. Creating a sitemap can result in higher rankings and drive traffic.
6. Including Social Media Links
There are many social media websites, but integrating at least some of them will drive traffic to the site and help with rankings.
7. Building Links From Other Websites
Links are a principal part of any website and can also help with rankings. Adding links to other people’s websites can provide reciprocal links, boosting rankings. Be sure to link to high-quality and relevant websites and do so naturally.
The Google search results are the most popular and used by users when searching for a website. A good understanding of SEO will help with the rankings in the Google results. It can help a website gain popularity among users.
3. Tools to help with the process of planning for good SEO
There are many tools available that can be used when planning a website to ensure good SEO. Some of these tools include the following:
- Google Search Console: This tool helps webmasters identify and fix issues with their websites that affect their ranking in Google search results. It also provides data on how often your website is crawled by Google and any errors that have been detected.
- Google Analytics: This tool tracks website traffic. It provides information on where visitors are coming from, what pages they are visiting, and how long they stay on your site. It can also help identify which keywords are driving traffic to your site.
- Screaming Frog: This tool crawls your website and identifies any broken links. It also looks for duplicate meta information and other SEO issues potentially impacting your site’s ranking.
- Google Trends: This tool is useful when considering keywords to include on your website. It provides data on the popularity of specific terms and related words that might be useful to incorporate alongside your main keywords.
- Google Adwords Keyword Planner: This tool helps identify keywords that are highly likely to drive traffic. It provides search volume data, suggested keywords, and competition level in the search results.
SEO is a complicated strategy that you should plan before designing your website. The design process doesn’t need to be overbearing. Still, you will want to consider how the site can affect SEO and what elements may help or hinder it. For example, if you’re going to use images in your content marketing strategy, make sure to choose large-high-quality pictures with descriptive file names and alt tags. The description will help Google understand what is happening in the picture.
These are all simple things that you can do during the design process. By keeping SEO in mind throughout your website design, you will gain a lot of organic traffic and increased rankings. We hope that this article has helped you understand more about SEO and its importance in relation to good web design. If you’re still not sure how to implement the article’s content on your website, find a developer or web designer in Manchester, TN who can do it for you.